Saturday, October 10, 2009

How It All Turned Out

Not well, actually. Seems I picked up a secondary bacterial infection after recovering from the flu. Something nasty that crawled into my lungs and took hold with a vengeance. Am taking the big Augmentin to try to kill it with some speed. Have just been beat to pieces over the last eight days. Will be very glad to be feeling better. It will be at least a week until I have recovered from these back to back illnesses. Will be quite tired for awhile and will have to just do the best I can until I return to 100%.

After two days of the antibiotic I think I am finally seeing a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. The problem is that material is given to us to learn at a very rapid rate and in volumes, so, when unable to study and absorb the new material, one can easily fall behind. Am feeling as though the bacterial infection is on the run and am able to look at material and have it make sense. Quite a relief. Wasn't able to schedule my make-up exam until after I was allowed to come back to class. Was quarantined from patient contact, class attendance and any contact with staff until the end of the one-week waiting period.

It has been an interesting experience in patience, humility and maintaining a big picture perspective. I am reminded once again that pain is a humbler. When I see people in pain I need to find ways to assess their condition accurately and ease their pain, so their lives can come back into focus. Intense pain steals every awareness we have access to. Our reality only contains the color of the pain. Every idea is distorted and every hope is dashed. Don’t forget, Paul.

Lots to catch up. Need to get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment