Friday, October 23, 2009

Classy Class

While I was out of class and in such a pitiful state, I was able to observe some behaviors that I normally wouldn’t have. Thought they were worthy of recording here.

I confess I was beginning to think our class was just a group of above average folks who seemed well-suited enough for medicine. Nothing about them that truly stood out and really caught my attention until now. But, my glasses were a bit smudged, it seems... Turns out that there are some folks in our class who have an amazing capacity for compassion. They effortlessly embody joyful sacrifice.

As soon as they heard I was sick, they began to extend assistance and wishes of a speedy recovery. All entirely unsolicited. Katie offered to take her own time to go over class notes that I missed and try to explain material to me - which she did. Freddie offered to record class lectures that I would be forced to miss – which he then posted online for me to listen to at my leisure. Sarah offered to get me up to speed on abdomen exam procedures and Thu offered homemade chicken soup. Over and over, folks inquired about my health and expressed their relief at seeing me back. They told me how glad they were that I was feeling better.

I’m sure there are many others who would have acted in a similar fashion, but who simply didn’t feel they knew me well enough to approach me. Possibly they were persons whose paths I didn’t cross. Possibly they did extend some kindness or good words, but I was unaware as I ambled about in a fog.

The selection committees who allowed these folks to assemble here seem remarkably capable to me. I can’t help but think that these students are undeniably the raw material for a group of future doctors. Not just doctors. Great doctors. My faith in them has been restored if it ever faltered. They are much more than bright. They have something much more valuable than intelligence.

They have heart.

One of my personal sayings is: “We will all do what we each will do”. Go ahead and Google it if you want. I made it up myself… To the point, I think these folks will do the absolute best they can. And together they will do something utterly amazing. Makes me a little giddy just guessing what it might be.

To the good people of the OHSU School of Medicine Class of 2013: Thank you.

Splendidly done.

No comments:

Post a Comment