Friday, October 23, 2009

Another Story of Kindness

When I first realized how sick I was with the flu, I went to the ED for help at 4 a.m., and they kicked me out of school for a week. Good for everyone, I know. But, it meant I couldn't make the test that afternoon, so I emailed my instructor the details of what happened and asked what to do. He said, " This is what you normally need to do, but, don't worry, I've taken care of it for you. You just need to get better. Let us know how things go. Wishing you well!"

And, you know, I did feel better. That was a relief. I had no idea how I could make up a lab exam having 50 structures to identify and that were tagged on the same cadavers that students used every day. A weight had been lifted.

I sent back a status update the next day and advised that my fevers were increasing. He sent back a note jauntily claiming that my quarantine status was a terrific idea and encouraged me that the timing for the illness was perfect in that this was the easiest block for getting caught up. He told me to take care. – I hadn’t realized the block was the easiest. But it really was. The illness was becoming less perilous by the day.

I sent back a note the next day thanking him for the encouragement and letting him know I hoped to be ready to go when they let me back into class. – He replied to let me know that he would allow other options that would permit me to take the test at a relaxed pace and/or at a later date as the illness allowed. He said I could decide when I felt better and to let him know if I was interested in that option. Above all: Try to feel better!

And, so I did feel better. I had options. I was trusted. He believed I was sick and wasn’t a con artist. He believed I was doing my very best, and he wanted the very best from me. He was going to help me do that with every tool at his disposal. Wow. Out of 160 students in that class, he took the time to make sure this one had what he needed. Impressive.

So, the following Monday rolled around. That was the first day anyone was willing to let me come near them. Can’t say I blame them. I was still sick with something. I went in to take the written make-up test. It was handed to me at arm’s length, and the staff was quite gracious as they set up the room for me and started the slides. I finished the test with a minute or two to spare, pages swimming in front of my eyes. At least it was over.

I went into the office, and who was there but our instructor. I had never seen him in there before. He greeted me with a big smile and seemed genuinely glad to see me there. He wished me luck and took the test from me for grading (electronic scan).

I was checking email later that night and up popped an email from the instructor. Apparently, he had graded the test within an hour or so and was congratulating me on an excellent score. I was incredulous. Normally, it took two days for us to get our scores. Then... I get congratulations! – I had no worries about how I did and a boost to keep me going.

And, that’s not all. The next day, he dropped by our lab table to tell my labmates how glad he was to see me back in class on Monday. He gave a robust fist pump and a big grin. He was rooting for me.

Right about then, something clicked. My brain kept telling me to re-evaluate what was happening. I realized something special was occurring. This was no ordinary person and no ordinary act of kindness. This was a person who actively sought out the cause of someone’s pain and worked diligently to cultivate a cure. He was persistent and careful as he tested his remedies. He would not give up until he was certain I had been restored to health.

I realized this was a guy who cared deeply about every single person in our class and who was completed invested in our success. We mattered to him. We really mattered. He truly cared that we learn and that we take away every lesson possible from the experience.

Indeed, he took the time and made a significant effort to create a place that allowed me to heal. He helped me get better. He’s not an M.D. But he’s a healer. He’s the one guy on staff who performed flawlessly during my illness. Without hesitation, I tell you it’s an honor to sit at his feet and learn the healing art of medicine.

Thanks, Dr. Ciment. We’re damn lucky to have you as an instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment