Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bunyai the Hyundai

I’ve needed a new head gasket in my car for the last 5 years or so. It leaks.  The engine lugs and smells like oil when it is about a quart low. It runs remarkably better when it has oil in it. Haven’t changed it out because I don’t have the time to figure out how to do it myself or the money to take it to the shop. The engine leaks about a quart every couple of thousand miles. Bad for the environment, but then so is driving... Fortunately, I drive very little. Maybe that adds to my non-replacement inertia. I think if I can get thru the next year or so, I’ll have it done, so I can be ready to take trips for residency interviews and then travel to my residency when I finally learn where that will be. Why will I have money then? I won’t. However, I will pay less interest on what I spend later, and I should have more flexibility in my schedule to find a reliable shop (not easy) and get it in to them - and wait for the work to be done. Best I can tell, it still functions well in its current state.

Bunyai (2001 Hyundai Accent) has been a great little car. Have spent very little money on it and has gotten me around quite well for the last 8 years and 80K miles.  Hopefully, we’ll go another 80K together.

No comments:

Post a Comment