Sunday, January 10, 2010

On Humility

It has been suggested to me by a person I value greatly that I may not have been as humble as I could have been as I have posted entries here. My principal worry is that I may be off-putting and prevent folks from thinking about things that may be important to them and interfere with their learning. Since we all are correct only a portion of the time we express an idea (say... 80%), I think we do need to realize that we can be wrong, and, usually, we have no idea as to when that might be. Therefore, we have a real need for some humility.

We do need confidence, however, in order to provide our views publicly, and the two qualities are certainly not mutually exclusive. I think we must be confident enough to make the effort to share our views, so we may learn from one another and refine our own ideas through the critical review process. Good ideas can be used by others, and we need to weed out the 20% of confusion. I do think this blog has and will make me a better sharer of ideas, and I hope it contributes to you all, especially as you think about medical careers. I am convinced this forum has potential.

So, please accept my apologies if I have appeared arrogant in the course of this thing. I readily confess to having many imperfections. Please read between the lines to glean what you may and set any flaws of mine to the side. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment