Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Value of Tests

The first test went well. I confess I actually did a bit better than I thought I would. It was certainly challenging, and I was dawdling through the first part of the written portion, but got it in gear enough to be able to review most of the questions before the buzzer went off.

The test made me feel like I was officially in med school. For some reason I still keep pinching myself. It truly does feel dreamlike in that I can’t believe I get to do this and that I decided to do this at such a relatively late period in life. - Do I have any regrets? Not even a teeny, tiny one. I’ll be through this in a few short years and performing the best job on the planet. How could I ever think this was too hard or too late? I’ll still put in at least 20 years as a doc and probably 30 as long as I maintain my health and energy. Chances are pretty good that I will. Parents are still alive, both 80+, and I’m still training for triathlons. Feel good.

This test made me think I need to a better job of studying. I need to find a groove more quickly and become more effective via a better focus. I’m disciplined enough to take the time to study, but I find myself distracted easily. Emotional ideas often work their way into my psyche.  I need to compartmentalize better and set issues aside. I have one primary objective here: to learn as much as I can as I pursue the best specialty for me. Any day that I don’t use my time effectively to do that is a poor use of those moments. Yes, balance is important, but the education takes priority. I just need to remain human and maintain current obligations as I prepare for a new life. This kind of transition requires an exceptional effort.

Any advice about tests…? Hmmm. I suppose the most important thing is simply to look forward to them. They let you know where you stand. They can spur you on to further accomplishment. The bar is raised. Sometimes you learn more material right then and there. They make you focus harder to gather and retain material. They sharpen your skills.

I truly found myself studying with joy this week. The material is fascinating. My classmates are engaging and curious. They try hard. They inspire me. Old dogs do learn new tricks. They’ve just got to get off the porch and sniff around in the woods. Use it or lose it applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment