Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Big Picture... and then there's us

My interest in healthcare at a macro level continues to grow. As the debate rages on, I confess I continue to lose faith in the possibility of a brighter future for us. I forsee higher rates, reduced services, and more pockets being lined due to the larger customer base and as new taxes are levied. I see doctors being used even more as the gatekeepers to services. Most docs don’t enjoy that much. I see only the same sad business-as-usual greed under the guise of altruism. Every party wants all they can get, and those that have plenty seem destined to get more while indifferent, distracted, working Americans will continue to pay a larger portion of their incomes to subsidize their goals. Frogs in a great big pot.

Why am I so cynical about this subject when in the last post it was considered a no-no? I suppose I can only look to the past and judge by the manner in which our country has evolved from its original high-minded objectives. I can see how taxes have been spent and how executives continue to earn monstrous salaries and obscene retirement packages. I can see how doctors are fragmented in their belief systems and lack a cohesive set of plans. Rather than being at the forefront of the discussion, many have either taken a back-seat, wait-and-see attitude or are so focused on their practices, they have little time to commit to such things. I can hear how so little information is communicated in such a muddled fashion in order to sway our opinions, to bristle our fur, and to move our attention away from the play at second base. Guess I’m just tired of the huge shell game. I imagine I will write more about this later. I hope to attend an AMA gathering in November. Maybe I will learn more there.

Our first big test is in a couple of days. Many of us are anxious and hope to do well. For the most part we think we will breathe easier after we have a sense of what the test will be like for this section of the coursework. We think it will be easier when we have a feel for the road ahead.  – I will keep studying and do my best. Hillary is coming up this weekend. Looking forward to her companionship and smile and encouragement. Will try to offer my best in return. The work is engaging and challenging but very doable. I still think the trick is to enjoy each moment. It’s cool stuff, and I get to sit around learning about it. Darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment