Friday, November 12, 2010

VA Adventure

So, you may be wondering how things went at the VA (alluded to in the previous post).

All in all, it went quite well. I was able to shake the hands of and say 'thank you' to 50 or 60 veterans. Spent about 3 and a half hours over there. I just started at the downstairs lobby and worked my way up a floor at a time until I got to the top of the building. I met folks who were well and heading home and some who appeared to have no idea that I was attempting to speak with them. Some were having new parts put on. Some were having old parts taken out. Some were sad and afraid of dying. Others felt restored and ready for the next big thing. All seemed grateful for the hospital and the caregivers who were providing so well for them. My old school chum Allen joined me for the last hour or so.

I met a Pearl Harbor vet who wasn't able to talk much. One fellow told me about his post-military CIA adventures. Another described the way Agent Orange melted the scenery, and how he and another crew member were the only two who survived their exposure to it. Everyone else died within a few months. He says he figures the mask he wore to maintain commo is probably what saved him. He builds "motorsickles", now.

I met pilots and boat drivers and truck drivers and pen-pushers and crew chiefs. All were glad to be remembered. None really had anything they cared to complain about. Even the ones who were actively dying. They were accepting life as it came at them. They made me proud to call them brothers and sisters. They are part of the best stuff this country possesses. They rose to the challenge. They answered the call. They lived without holding too tightly, giving so much of what they had and believing they could be of good use. They touched my heart and reminded me of why I'm here. I hope I did them as much good as they did me.

Good people, man. Good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment