Thursday, November 19, 2009

Creating the Invisible

Reflection for the body donor service:

One of the jobs I’ve had in life was to teach. During my education, I learned that there are many ways to learn, and I even learned how I learn best. I know that I assimilate understanding if I can pick up an idea, twirl it around, and see it from different perspectives. I gather knowledge best when I can touch the object I am discerning and feel its borders, comprehend its density and texture, and place it into a frame of reference for future application.

The special gift offered by the gentle persons who taught us anatomy will spread out like ripples in a pond of giving. They made a choice to open our eyes and minds in a way that no one else could. We will hand their choice back to the world in the form of clarity, perspective, truer judgment, and a common desire to give ourselves away.

When we leave this earth, I hope we will leave it having given away as much as we possibly could have. I hope that what persists in our physical absence will be the same kind of reminder that these people have provided us: a reminder of what lives on. I hope we have the courage to create what does not go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment